Even though summer doesn't end for another month, for lots of people it is rapidly coming to a close as back-to-school approaches. While you might mean to relax every weekend, the events, people, to-do lists, and more build up and you find yourself stressed out by Sunday night.
The time to relax is right now, friend. Here are five easy ways to actually relax this weekend.
1. Get to the pool! Or the Ocean, or just bust out the sprinklers and run through them like the wild child you were born to be! Water has naturally calming affects, whether it's the waves rolling in or dangling our feet into the pool. You'll leave calmer, cooler, and more relaxed.
2. Read a book. I'm not talking about a text book or the book you have to read 17 times before your toddler will fall asleep, I'm talking about an honest-to-God, hardcover book with pages to turn. Something with a story that pulls you in more than all the articles you've been reading on Buzzfeed. Your eyes were made for more than screens. Which leads me to..
3. Turn off the technology. Step away from the laptop, ma'am. That iPad has a power button for a reason, why not give it a whirl! If you want to get wild, leave your phone at home or, dare I say, turn it to silent or off. Challenge yourself to take one full day of no screens, it's really life changing.
4. Put your sneakers on and head out for a walk. Bring your favorite pup or pal for sweet company, or enjoy an hour by yourself. Vitamin D is known for it's ability to boost happiness, plus nature is pretty cool if you're looking up and around ('cause your phone is at home, remember?).
5. Get a mani/pedi, a spa treatment, or bust out that facial you got for Christmas and still haven't used. Self-care is not selfish. It's necessary. A mani/pedi won't break the bank, but if it's not an option, invite the girls over and do each other's nails (spoiler: the worse they are, the more you'll laugh).
If this sounds good but you're feeling guilty or eyeing your never-ending list of tasks, remember that you deserve to relax and calm down for a few hours. The rest of the weekend can be for getting things done and as a bonus, you'll be happier, more productive, and not snapping at everyone around you. Leave a comment here or over on instagram and tell me how you're planning to relax this weekend!